July 23, 2009

Mysore and Me


There’s an old saying, “when a student is ready, the Teacher will appear”. Such is true when my quest in searching for a ‘purer state of yoga’ brought me to Mysore, first in 2008.

Having reached a certain practice plateau in my 4 plus years of yoga, I journeyed to Mysore, in hope of taking my practice to a higher level and returning home to share it with like-minded, passionate yoga practitioners.

Meeting my Yoga Master, Bharath Shetty, for the first time and stepping foot in the Yoga India shala in Gokulam, something inside of me immediately ‘clicked’… and I had this feeling that I had ‘come home’. Something about the Yoga India methodology and philosophy resonated with me, and I was drawn to wanting to learn everything I can from Bharath. I then signed up for the 200-hour Yoga Alliance Teacher Training Course with Yoga India. And for 6 intense weeks, immersion in the course not only renewed and strengthened my practice to greater heights, it also transformed me mentally and spiritually.

This blog is a personal collection of bits and pieces of useful information for first timers planning to live in Gokulam during Teacher’s Training, or simply wanting to do a ‘yoga pilgrimage’ in the area.

If you have more information or updates to share, please drop me a note.

Enjoy your time in Gokulam, Mysore...may your yoga journey be a beautiful one.

Love, Light & Peace


(Special thanks to Raymond Lim for the photos).

No comments: